Monday, August 17, 2009

"I Will Be So Brief I Have Already Finished" - Salvador Dali, World's Shortest Speech

Dear Friends,

I am taking in the sights (and yes, some of the food too) in Paris so my comments this week will be exceedingly brief. Fortunately I have no doubt that you will find ample material in Parashat Shoftim to discuss without much (or any) prompting on my end.

Consider Deuteronomy 16:18-20, the opening verses of this week's portion and some of the most inspiring lines in all of Torah.

Now juxtapose these lines with the recent deliberations culminating in the swearing-in of Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor to the United States Supreme Court on August 6, 2009.

As you allow this dramatic symbol of the American judicial system to intersect with this week's Torah teaching, how do you see each commenting on the other?

I look forward to seeing your comments online and I'll miss seeing you on Saturday!

Happy studying....
J.E.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment