Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vayetze 5771 / Mending Wall

Dear Friends:

This week's parasha is Vayetze (Gen. 28:10 - 32:3).

In the triennial Torah reading we will undertake to explore this Shabbat, the final section of the parasha, Jacob has finally broken free from his indentured servitude to his father-in-law Laban. For more than twenty years, Jacob has served Laban as a shepherd, and he has prospered. Unable to come to terms of severance by which Jacob could be freed of his service to Laban, Jacob flees under the cover of night, with his family and his flocks in tow.

Laban pursues him and finally catches up, accosting him with these words: "The daughters are my daughters, and the sons are my sons, and the animals are my animals, and all that you see is mine" (Gen. 31:43).

Deciding, however, not to steal back what he believes to be "his," Laban proposes concluding a formal covenant with Jacob. Jacob sets up a stone as a monument to the agreement that Laban will no longer harass Jacob over his accumulated wealth and his wives; in further demonstration of the covenant Jacob instructs his men to set up a pile of stones that will "serve as a witness between me and you."

As I read the passage I was struck by the titular image of Robert Frost's celebrated poem, "Mending Wall" (1915, North of Boston):

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

So now that you've had a chance to reflect on these texts, consider commenting below in response to these questions:

1. Do you believe that "good fences make good neighbors?"
2. Was it a good thing that Jacob & Laban finally are able to make a firm separation, even if it meant erecting a wall of stones between them?
3. How would you apply these texts to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours without walls,
Rabbi Jonathan Blake


7 comments:

  1. You perpetuate the illusion there is a Palestinian-Israeli "CONFLICT". There isn't one. It's one-sided. It's them against us - period. We tried to live with them since 1948.

    Here's what they have to say about their version of the final resolution of your said "conflict":

    Only Jews who lived in ‘Palestine’ (as Arabs call the Land of Israel) before World War I will be allowed to live in the future Islamic ‘Palestinian’ state, a senior Hamas official said in an interview published Thursday. This would mean that no Jews aged currently under 96 would qualify for living in that state, regardless of where they are from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I come from, if two peoples cannot agree (or even "agree to disagree"), that's called a "conflict."

    Shabbat Shalom.

    Yours,
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It says in The Ethics of Our Fathers (Pirkei Avot) that in disagreement between two parties, for the sake of heaven (that is, for the sake of Torah truth, the argument will remain for the sake of good, as is the argument in Talmud between Hillel and Shammai. What conflict should we NOT subscribe to? The conflict of Korach and his cohorts.

    But the text purposely omits explicit identity of Korach's opponent. That's because the opponent really was irrelevant. Korach had a deep grudge and worked hard to have his way. No matter of convincing would have helped because his motive was not for the sake of heaven.

    Similarly the Palestinians will just fight on until the Jews are pushed into the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, "in the vanguard," for your cogent commentary. I can only hope and pray that the words we exchange here, when in conflict with each other, will constitute a "makhloket l'shem shamayim" -- a controversy FOR the sake of Heaven.

    Shabbat Shalom,
    JEB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm struck by the line in Frost's poem "and on a day we meet to walk the line and set the wall between us once again". In both cases (Jacob/Laban and Frost) the wall is an actual physical place, not just a metaphor. The wall is a meeting place, a mending place, a witness. You can only begin to resolve such conflicts as these by defining them and finding the dividing line. That's where you must meet, mend and, perhaps, be witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I don't see fences as making "good" neighbors. Fences are useful when we have "bad" neighbors.

    For me, when neighbors share ethical values, such as those taught in Torah, fences shouldn't be necessary at all, technically.

    But, when neighbors' ethical value systems differ, then it probably is true that fences become a necessity to ensure amicable separation.

    Ya'akov and Lavan are of the same people--whether we wish to acknowledge that or not. But, their ethical value systems seem to differ slightly. Frankly, I'm not sure which party I would designate as "worse". Whether of the same people or not, a fence is definitely required to keep 2 such neighbors, who thrive on deception, apart.

    Fast forwarding to modern times, I don't think fences are particularly necessary between all Arabs and Jews. I see them as necessary between some Jews. And, I see them as necessary between some Arabs and Jews.

    I live in NY. But, what I read in the Israel media of Jewish activity on parts of the West Bank conjures up tremendous shame. Thuggery is thuggery, whether executed by Arabs or Jews.

    I'd say we need a heck of a lot more than just fences to address this “conflict". I'd say 4-walled razor wire has been well earned by many Jews and Arabs alike.

    David S

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all may enjoy this: http://town.hall.org/Archives/radio/IMS/HarperAudio/020394_harp_01_ITH.au.gsm

    I remember the sandbags and the barbed wire on Jerusalem rooftops in the mid 1960s. Fences didn't seem to me to make terribly good neighbors back then.

    I remember the perceived freedom of the mid 1970s--at least one-sided--to travel across the open expanse of Israel—from the Galilee to the West Bank to the Negev to Sinai. Fences didn't seem necessary. Orange groves didn't threaten Arabs any more than olive groves threatened Jews.

    But, Robert Frost ponders whether fences are to curtail the wandering of cows--cows which neither he nor his neighbor seem to have.

    Today, the security fence is certainly not needed to separate orchards. I doubt it is even needed to separate straying sheep. But, there are wolves amongst us, not cows. The current security fence seems designed specifically to keep wolves from crossing over into Israel proper. I think where it is systematically erected, it has been successful in doing so. Of course, it has also succeeded in curtailing a lot of Jewish-Arab commerce, resulting in Israel’s need to replace Palestinian Arab labor with non-Jewish immigrants from overseas and contributing to a spike in Palestinian Arab unemployment. And, unfortunately, the security fence hasn't kept wolves from crossing and wreaking terror in the opposite direction.

    For the time being, this security fence has succeeded in dramatically reducing Arab terror attacks in Israel. For this alone, I consider it an absolute necessity.

    However, I look forward to the day when this security fence and wall is ceremoniously taken down, or at least to the day when Robert Frost’s “gaps” in the wall may grow. For to say fences make good neighbors is to posit a myth. Mutual respect and commercial success will make good neighbors…along with the bilateral routing out of wolves on both sides.

    David S

    ReplyDelete